The basic process.
When making soup we go through a set of steps:
- Saute´ aromatics in the fat of your choice and a little sea salt until golden
- Add your choice of stock and bring to a boil
- Add other ingredients and simmer until cooked
- (Optional) Blend soup
- Flavour adjustment if needed
The basic ingredients for Sorrel Soup
- Any one or combination of minced aromatics: onions, garlic, green garlic
- Your choice of stock or broth
- Fresh French sorrel leaves, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper
Make it more fancy or hearty
- Add herbs: parsley and dill
- Add diced carrots, potatoes and celery
- Add cream or milk at end of cooking (do not boil)
- Add cooked chicken
- Garnish with hard cooked egg
The recipe we use here:
- Sauté minced green garlic, onion, carrot and celery leaves in butter in a large saucepan with a bay leaf and a pinch of sea salt.
- Once aromatics are golden, add about 4C beef bone broth (perhaps thinned with a little water) and bring to a boil.
- Add at least 1C diced potatoes. Cook until they are nearly tender.
- Add 2C thinly sliced French sorrel leaves, 1/4c fresh parsley and 1 T fresh dill. Cook for another 5 minutes or so. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, sour cream or kefir.
Serve with cheese and crusty bread as a starter or light meal.